SECTIONS
Cebu
Friday, July 30, 2021
CEBU

Briones: Time to move on

On the go

At this point, more than 10 months since the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) arrived on our shores, we have an inkling of how it works.

Well, at least enough to know that wearing a face mask and observing social distancing can lower the risk of transmission.

We are also aware that some people are more susceptible to it.

According to the World Health Organization back in October last year, “globally, the highest percentage of cases have been reported in the 25-39 age group, with approximately 50 percent of cases in the 24-64 age group. However, the percentage of deaths increases with age, and approximately 75 percent of deaths are in those aged 65 years and above.”

Now if you look at these figures, it makes sense.

It goes without saying that the older you get, the more likely you will die. Not necessarily from Covid-19, mind you, but from old age. It doesn’t help if you have one of these pre-existing medical conditions: cancer, chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heart conditions, obesity and severe obesity etc.

What this means is that people who are vulnerable will need to be extra careful.

Those with questions can always read up on the latest development on the internet.

Anyway, based on the data released by the Department of Health (DOH), here in the entire island of Cebu and in the rest of the archipelago, more than 80 percent of those who contracted the disease recovered.

It’s also safe to say, without going to specifics, that majority of positive cases are asymptomatic or at least develop only mild symptoms.

That we all know.

In the past two weeks, the number of Covid-19 cases in Metro Cebu and Cebu Province, particularly in Cebu City, has been going up.

This was to be expected, not because I said so, but because health and local authorities had warned the public about it in the lead-up to the Christmas holiday after observing that more and more people were ignoring health protocols.

So why are certain sectors acting alarmed, hinting at a doomsday scenario if drastic measures are not taken? What do they hope to gain by hyping up the situation? Do they want Cebu to be placed on lockdown? Why? Don’t they know that most of the people have moved on and are trying to pick up the pieces of their broken lives?

Okay, a tad melodramatic, but you know what I mean?

Instead, they should take their lead from Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, who has shrugged off the naysayers.

“I read figures and make my decision from facts and figures, not figments of imagination, because that is what anyone in my position should do, including those that are in sciences and in disciplines such as the medical profession,” she said.

Because at this point, the whole of Cebu needs to shift its focus on getting back on its economic feet.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Create your own user feedback survey
sunstar.com.ph