BUSINESS process outsourcing (BPO) firm, Transcom, may resume the onsite operation of its site at Barangay Tangub in Bacolod City on Monday, February 8, an official of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Task Force said.
Deputy for Medical Data and Analysis Dr. Chris Sorongon, on the sidelines of the dry run on the city government’s coronavirus disease (Covid-19) vaccination program at Barangay Villamonte Gymnasium in the city yesterday, said the company is now 80 to 85 percent compliant with regard to health and safety protocols.
Transcom’s Bacolod site was temporarily closed starting February 1 after 41 of its employees were tested for the coronavirus. It was also issued with notice of violation for failure to implement the BaCTrac System.
Sorongon said based on their inspection at the site yesterday, changes have been implemented including the use of the city’s contact tracing system.
“It’s now up and running,” he said referring to the use of BaCTrac System, adding that the majority of their recommended minimum health protocols were already complied by the company.
In a media briefing on Thursday, Transcom’s top executives claimed that they were not aware at first that the use of BaCTrac System was mandatory thus, the company was not able to register.
“I don’t believe that we have received an official ordinance and to the best of our knowledge we were under an impression that it was voluntary, not mandatory,” Transcom Worldwide Chief Executive Officer for Global English Region Mark Lyndsell said, adding that “in all other local government units (LGUs) where we operate where these requirements are indeed mandatory, they are in place.”
The EOC official, however, refuted citing that a Transcom representative even attended the meeting on BaCTrac implementation in October last year.
“Ignorance of the law excuses no one,” Sorongon stressed, adding that the notice of violation for Transcom was only a form of reminder and that no fine was imposed on the company.
Among other major recommendations given by the EOC Task Force included installation of high-efficiency particulate air filter, exhaust fan and air purifier to improve the air circulation within their building.
“We are happy that they are receptive of the proposal,” he said.
Upon the request of Transcom, the EOC Task Force is conducting today, February 6, a repeat swabbing for the employees who tested negative for Covid-19 during the recent surveillance testing.
Some 598 workers participated in the surveillance verse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test conducted by the city government on January 20 and 30.
Sorongon said once they yield another negative result, which is expected to come out by Sunday, these employees can then report to work on Monday.
Transcom targets only 121 of their onsite employees to return to work. It has earlier increased to 95 percent its offsite or work-from-home operations.
The EOC Task Force recommended that the 121 onsite workers will be divided into three buildings to ensure social distancing in the workplace.
It also suggested to the company to put a box of facemasks in every station and reminded the strict use of it all the time.
Sorongon said they will again conduct another round of inspection at the Transcom site on Monday to further ensure compliance on the part of the company.
“Hopefully, they will implement zero tolerance on their employees who violate their minimum health protocols,” he added.
Sorongon, meanwhile, said they continue to monitor other private establishments in the city, including call center companies, to remind them of the need to follow the health and safety guidelines set to curb Covid-19 infections.
Notices of violations, he said, will also be issued to those found violating the protocols.