THE new UK variant of the coronavirus that has affected several returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) has further delayed the plan of the province of Aklan to open Boracay to foreign tourists.
Aklan Governor Florencio Miraflores said this meant opening tourism to foreign tourists may be pushed to next year.
The Department of Health earlier announced that some 62 Filipinos, many of whom were OFWs, had been infected by the new coronavirus variant in the country.
"If not for this new Covid-19 variant, the province is ready to accept foreign tourists coming from abroad. It could just be noted that since Boracay has opened to domestic tourists since last year, no tourists have acquired the Covid-19 after they traveled to Boracay," Miraflores said.
Before the pandemic, Boracay received numerous direct flights coming from China and South Korea via the Kalibo International Airport.
There have also been several foreign tourists sighted in Boracay but all of whom have been residing in the country for years.
Based on the records of the Malay Tourism office from February 1 to 20, 2021, Boracay registered 11,278 tourists. Some 7,200 of whom came from the National Capital Region. (SunStar Philippines)