KILLED members of the New People's Army (NPA) in the gun battle between elements of the Philippine Army's 62nd Infantry Battalion (62IB) and the insurgents had climbed to 10, an official said.
Major Cenon Pancito III, 3rd Infantry Division (3ID) spokesperson, said troops scouring the encounter site in Sitio Agit, Barangay Trinidad in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental have found two more remains.
The 62IB also found a wounded fighter hiding in one of the houses in the encounter site, leading to an arrest.
Captain Raymund Jamisal, 62IB spokesperson, said they have launched an investigation against the owner of the house where the wounded NPA insurgent was sheltering.
He also confirmed that at least 68 families near the encounter site fled their homes and that they have already distributed food and medical supplies to affected families.
Jamisal said they have not yet allowed families to return to their homes as they are still finishing the clearing operation in the area.
He also confirmed that Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff General Cerilito Sobejana arrived at their base in the town of Isabela in Negros Occidental to personally congratulate the soldiers who were involved in the battle.
Earlier on Tuesday, the 62IB clashed with at least 40 members of the NPA's Sentro De Grabidad Platoon and the Samahang Yunit Propaganda Platoon Komiteng Rehiyon-Negros, Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor in the said city, which lasted for three hours.
Both the army and police recovered six M16 assault rifles, an M4 carbine, an M60 machine gun, a KG-9 machine pistol and an improvised explosive device.
Government forces also recovered the personal belongings of the insurgents, subversive documents and documents which yield "high-intelligence value."