THE Cebu City Government will continue to impose fines on violators of health protocols, especially on people who don’t wear face masks while outdoors, amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
City Councilor Joel Garganera, deputy chief implementer of Emergency Operations Center, said the practice has been effective for the City so there’s no reason why it should be scrapped.
“So far, imposing penalties and fines for failure to wear a face mask has been an effective deterrent against protocol violations as far as Cebu City is concerned,” said Garganera in a statement on Sunday, April 18, 2021.
City Ordinance 2566, or An Ordinance Penalizing any Violation in Relation to the Implementation of General/Enhanced Community Quarantine in Cebu City during Public Health Crisis, stipulates an administrative fine of P500 for the first offense; P1,000 for the second offense; and P3,000 for the third offense.
The ordinance also allows violators to do community service if they don’t have the money to pay the fine, Garganera said.
Violators are required to attend a seminar on health protocols as part of their community service, he said.
“So I believe the Cebu City EOC would like to stick with the status quo,” Garganera said.
Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia had announced that she would abolish the fine for those caught violating minimum health standards for Covid-19.
She said violators shouldn’t have to be charged in court let alone be made to pay a penalty if they venture outside without a face mask.
“They can be reminded to wear a mask, admonished to wear a mask, but never should they be mistreated,” she said. (JJL)