CEBU

Mascariñas, Mindanao players rue suspension of VisMin’s Mindanao leg

Chooks-to-Go president Ronald Mascariñas questioned GAB’s decision to suspend the Mindanao leg of the ongoing VisMin Cup. (Chooks-to-Go photo)

Sports patron and Chooks-to-Go president Ronald Mascariñas is questioning the reasoning behind the suspension of the Mindanao leg of the ongoing Pilipinas VisMin Super Cup.

The Mindanao leg is schedule to tip off on May 20 in Dipolog City. However, that plan has been left hanging after the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) suspended it following the farcical game that occurred between the Siquijor Mystics and the Lapu-Lapu Heroes last week.

In an appearance on the DZRH show “Dos Por Dos,” the amiable executive, who hails from Butuan, said that the development is hurtful for all the teams involved especially since they have been preparing hard for the tournament.

“Nakakagulat yung desisyon ng GAB na hindi pa naguumpisa yung Mindanao at wala dun sa Cebu, sinuspinde. Yun yung hinihingan namin ng konsiderasyon na bakit naman masyado niyong minamaliit yung Mindanao,” said Mascariñas. “Masakit sa akin yun kasi taga-Mindanao ako.”

JR Puerto, the former University of Cebu star who is set to play for Zamboanga del Sur, said it was disheartening to hear of the Mindanao leg’s suspension, especially during a time when he and basketball players like him, need a stable source of income.

“Sakit kaayo sa among part kay na-angin me nagtrabaho ug tinarong,” said Puerto, a former slam dunk champion of the Cesafi. “Gitagaan ta sa Ginoo ug chance makatrabaho sa panahon sa pandemic unya maingon ani lang?”

Orvelle Saludsod, another former UC star who is set to play for the Pagadian Explorers, said he was disappointed especially since they’ve already put in so much to prepare for the upcoming tournament.

“Nadamay mi sa ilaha gibuhat,” said Saludsod of the shenanigans in the Siquijor-Lapu-Lapu match. “Guol kaayo mi kay kapoy na practice dayun dako na gasto.”

Puerto shared that the Mindanao leg could have served as a springboard for many players who have the talent but just haven’t had the exposure.

“Hinaot nga maka duwa mi ani nga league para sa mga bag-ong tubo nga wala pa na ilhi. Para matagaan sila ug chance na makita ug maka-showcase sa ilang mga talent sa dagko nga liga,” said Puerto.

Mascariñas is hoping that GAB would reconsider its decision.

“Hindi pa nga nagsisimula yung liga, pagsususpetyahan niyo na. Nag-uumpisa pa lang yung imbestigasyon sa Visayas, suspendido na. Ganun ba talaga kaliit ang tingin niyo sa taga-Mindanao? Huwag naman ganun. Yung mga team owners dun nag-invest yan sa pagkakataon na makalaro,” said Mascariñas. (JNP)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Create your own user feedback survey