The 46th season of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) will tip off when the number of Covid-19 cases in the country goes down.
This was the condition that was set by the government, said league commissioner Willie Marcial after he and Brgy. Ginebra governor Alfranchis Chua met with Senator Bong Go and Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea at Malacañang.
“Sinabi nila kailangan bumaba talaga yung ating cases ng Covid. Kung hindi bababa, baka hindi tayo makapaglaro,” said Marcial during the virtual press conference on Thursday afternoon.
“Nag-request ako sa kanya na kung pupwede, bigyan tayo ng pagkakataon para makapag-umpisa na ang PBA makapag-laro at makapag-umpisa na ng ensayo,” added Chua, who also function as the San Miguel Corp. sports director.
The PBA was initially set to open its new season earlier this month but the sudden surge of Covid-19 cases in the country prompted the government to place the metro in an enhanced community quarantine, which led to the postponement of the planned opening.
League officials are now planning to have every member of the PBA family inoculated with the Covid-19 vaccine but Marcial added that even when this happens, the government still won’t allow the PBA to play games until the number of cases go down. (JNP)