AT LEAST 3,000 informal sector workers are set for deployment Saturday, May 1, 2021, as contact tracers in the National Capital Region (NCR), according to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
In a virtual press briefing, DOLE spokesperson Rolly Francia said the 3,000 contact tracers were hired under the department’s emergency employment program. They have already completed their training and are ready to be deployed.
"Immediately after tomorrow's signing of Joint Memorandum Circular by DOLE, DILG (Department of the Interior and Local Government), and MMDA (Metro Manila Development Authority), our contact tracers will immediately be deployed in their respective LGUs," said Francia.
He said ceremonial deployments will happen simultaneously in the cities of Quezon, Manila, Muntinlupa and Parañaque, and in the municipality of Pateros.
Last month, the DOLE volunteered to tap displaced informal sector workers as contact tracers amid the sharp increase in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in Metro Manila via the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged / Displaced Workers (Tupad) program.
This program is a community-based assistance program that provides emergency employment for displaced informal sector workers. Those employed are paid the prevailing daily minimum wage in their respective regions.
The DOLE has allocated a total of P295 million for the program to benefit a total of 5,754 informal workers.
Each Tupad beneficiary is set to work for three months as a contact tracer. (HDT / SunStar Philippines)