NEARLY eight years after super typhoon Yolanda hit northern Cebu on Nov. 8, 2013, the National Housing Authority (NHA) turned over 750 housing units to the recipient families in Madridejos town on April 29, 2021.

Authorities said 30 percent of the town residents lost their homes, while the remaining 70 percent of residents had their roofs detached during the onslaught of the typhoon.

The total cost for the construction of the units reached P217.5 million or P290,000 per unit. The houses are located in La Kodia Village in Barangay Kodia.

Madridejos Mayor Salvador dela Fuente said the recipients include his constituents whose houses were destroyed by the typhoon, constituents living in no-build zones and single parents.

The town, which is on Bantayan Island, has 14 barangays.

Dela Fuente said in an interview on Friday, April 30, 2021 that the housing units still lack electricity and water connection.

Meanwhile, the NHA will start its household beneficiary validation in Bantayan town in May.

The agency is building houses for the poor residents in the town.

In a meeting, Bantayan Mayor Arthur Despi and the NHA discussed the latter’s ongoing housing projects in Barangays Kampingganon, Kabac and Sillon. The recipients of the housing units will be known sometime in June this year. / ANV / KAL