DESPITE the continuous downtrend of Covid-19 cases in Davao City, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio is not ruling out the possibility that the city will be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) if minimum health standards and regulations will be disregarded.
In a video message uploaded by the City Information Office on its official media accounts on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, Duterte-Carpio said the continuous downtrend of Covid-19 cases in the city has been evident, attributed to everyone's “unified efforts and discipline.”
"Nakab-ot nato kini tungod sa mga sakripisyo nga atong gihimo ug pag-antos nga atong giatubang. Busa mas dako ang rason karon aron dili nato kini sayangon (We have reached our current status because of the sacrifices we made and the efforts we are doing. That is why there is even bigger reason for us not to waste this achievement)," Duterte-Carpio said.
She added the public should not repeat its mistakes in the previous months, including the complacency in abiding to the health protocols and regulations that aim to curb the spread of the deadly virus within households and communities.
It can be recalled that the city was placed under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) from July to November 20, 2020, wherein restrictions were eased but had resulted in the surge of cases due to non-essential gatherings and non-observance of health protocols.
Duterte-Carpio said the city cannot afford to revert to ECQ, the strictest quarantine status imposed by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF), as this would result in business and employment losses.
"Apan dili imposible nga subling ipailawom sa ECQ ang siyudad kung dili istrikto ang atong pagpatuman sa pagsuot og face mask, pagpalayo og usa ka metro sa laing tawo, ug paglikay sa mga aktibidad kung diin magtapok ang kadaghanan (But it is not impossible that the city will be placed again under ECQ if there won’t be strict implementation in the wearing of face masks, observance of one to two meter distancing, and prohibition of mass gathering activities)," the mayor said.
In her message, the city has already recorded 687 deaths due to Covid-19.
"Atong hinumdumon nga ang mga mipanaw tungod sa Covid-19 nataptan sa makamatay nga virus nga gikan sa laing tawo (Let us remember that those who succumbed to the deadly Covid-19 virus was infected from other people)," she said.
Duterte-Carpio reminded the public to remember the sacrifices of frontliners, including the doctors, nurses, security guards, janitors, medtech, and other hospital personnel.
"Huna-hunaon nato nga unta dili sila malumos sa kadaghan sa mga pasyente nga nanginahanglan og ilang tabang (Let’s bear in mind our hope that they won’t drown with the number of patients that need their special care)," she said.
"Kung mosaka ang mga kaso sa Covid-19, dili sab nato kalimtan nga maapektohan niini ang atong mga hospital (If Covid-19 cases increase, let us not forget that this would also affect our hospitals)," she added.
The mayor also reiterated her call for those experiencing flu-like symptoms to have themselves tested, and consult their infectious disease specialists for appropriate medical prescription.
She also emphasized the absence of medicine against the virus and the inadequate supply of its vaccines.
The mayor previously said the city is targeting to vaccinate 1.2 million out of estimated 1.8 million Dabawenyos in order to achieve herd immunity.
She also called for the continuous observance of health protocols even if they are already vaccinated.
"Buhaton nato kini hangtod nga moingon ang (Let us continue doing this until the) World Health Organization ug (and) Department of Health nga luwas na kita (will say that we are now safe)," Duterte-Carpio said.