THE commander of the Caloocan City Police sub-station 9 was relieved from post over a resort’s continued operation while the city and the rest of Metro Manila are under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
Police Major Harold Aaron Melgar was relieved for failing to detect the activities in the resort and impose quarantine protocols.
He was replaced by Lieutenant Ronald Batalla, according to Caloocan City Police Director Samuel Mina.
“My marching order is for all my station commanders to know their respective AORs (area of responsibility) and for them to inspect establishments, coordinate with all stakeholders and local officials and strictly enforce the minimum health protocols so as not to repeat such establishment operating in violation of existing health protocols set by IATF and our local covid task force,” Mina said.
At least 300 guests went swimming in the Gubat sa Ciudad resort in Caloocan City to celebrate Mothers’ Day on Sunday.
Health protocols, particularly the observance of physical distancing, were disregarded. The resort should have been closed under MECQ.
Caloocan City Mayor Oscar Malapitan has ordered the closure of the resort and revocation of its business permit.
The guests were urged to undergo 14-day quarantine and swab test. Contact tracing is ongoing.
Mina said charges were being readied for filing against the resort owners and Barangay 171 Chairman Romeo Rivera.
Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said Rivera is accountable for the incident.
“Malaki pananagutan niya dahil alam mo last week in-announce pa ng Pangulo ito na ang ating mga mayors at barangay captains ay dapat magpatupad ng prohibition sa mass gathering,” he said in a television interview. (SunStar Philippines)