THE Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) team has gotten rid of 40 booths of illegal small town lottery (STL) in Cebu City on Monday, May 17, 2021.
Of the 40 booths, 25 were from the northern area of the city, while 15 came from the south.
The Probe team had its first day of including in its road clearing operation the dismantling of illegal STL booths in the city.
STLs operating in Cebu City are all illegal as not a single operator was granted a license by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).
Probe chief Raquel Arce said they were assisted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) personnel during their operation.
Arce said the illegal STL booths were mostly located on the sidewalks along the national highway.
Arce said movable booths were confiscated, while those attached to a structure were demolished.
She said there were notices issued last week about the clearing operation to be conducted.
Arce said there were no reported individuals who resisted during the operation, but there were some who insisted that they did not cause an obstruction on the sidewalks.
The Probe team has been implementing the mandate of the Department of the Interior and Local Government to clear all roads and sidewalks from obstructions.
Arce said the matter of illegal STL booths located inside private properties has been forwarded to the proper agencies like the PNP for appropriate action.
Last week, PCSO General Manager Royina Garma met with Labella and discussed the rampant illegal STLs in Cebu City.
In a news report by Superbalita Cebu, Garma said PCSO is losing P12 million a day to illegal STLs in Cebu City and Mandaue City. (JJL)