MORE booths of illegal small town lottery (STL) in Cebu City were dismantled and confiscated by the Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification and Enhancement (Probe) team more than a week since the operation started.
Probe chief Raquel Arce said as of May 27, 2021, a total of 54 booths of illegal STL were confiscated and dismantled.
Arce said most of the STL booths were closed and abandoned.
“So far, we have not seen stalls that are still operational. These booths were closed; it’s already abandoned,” said Arce.
Probe has been conducting road clearing operations to free public roads and sidewalks from any obstruction.
A week ago, Probe included the STL booths in its clearing operation.
Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella said there are about 1,000 illegal STL booths in Cebu City.
Labella said this cannot be done easily, but he believes illegal STL operation in the city will stop as long as Probe and police personnel continue to conduct their operation.
Labella said operating STL in Cebu City is a violation of Republic Act 9287 or the Act to Increase Penalties Against Illegal Numbers Games.
He said STL booths do not only violate the law, but also cause nuisance on the sidewalks.
Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) general manager Royina Garma had met with Labella and discussed the presence of illegal STL in Cebu City.
In a news report by Superbalita Cebu, Garma said PCSO is losing P12 million a day to illegal STL in Cebu City and Mandaue City. (JJL)