SECTIONS
Tacloban
Monday, June 21, 2021
TACLOBAN

Relief operations underway in Maasin City

Photo from Philippine Red Cross-Southern Leyte chapter

GOVERNMENT and non-governmental agencies, along with private individuals, have launched relief and clearing operations in Maasin City, following the massive flooding brought by the Tropical Storm Dante on Monday, June 1, 2021.

The Philippine Red Cross-Southern Leyte chapter distributed 104 food packs and hygiene kits with brochures on how to be protected from coronavirus disease (Covid-19) to the evacuees in Barangay Tunga-tunga, while used clothing with comforter were distributed in Barangay Basak, which was badly hit by the flood.

Jonas Maco, chapter administrator, said their Red Cross 143 volunteers also conducted disaster risk reduction (DRR) information drive and drill.

The Southern Leyte provincial government, along with the Office of Civil Defense (OCD), held the “Feed a Barangay" nutrition program to the first two beneficiary barangays of Asuncion and Combado, according to Danilo Atienza of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO).

After the flood rescue operations, PDRRMO personnel led the damage analysis and needs assessment in affected areas, said Atienza.

Several volunteer groups in the city also launched their own “bayanihan” drives to provide essentials items such as food, clothing, sanitary napkins, diapers, and blankets to the flood victims.

Maasin City Mayor Nacional Mercado said their rescue team “promptly responded to those residents who are greatly affected following the torrential rain, damaging winds, and flooding in several barangays.”

“So far, the City of Maasin has zero casualties and more or less 194 families evacuated as reported by their Punong Barangays of Combado, Tagnipa, Mambajao, Nasaug, Asuncion and Manhilo. There is partial damage at Barangay Combado and Tagnipa,” the mayor said in a statement.

Mercado also thanked the assistance given by the provincial government, uniformed personnel, OCD-Eastern Visayas, other agencies, humanitarian groups, and private individuals.

The mayor earlier suspended the classes and work in both public and private establishments in the city “to give way to our assessment and restoration efforts.”

On their second day of relief operation, the number of families/evacuees affected due to the tropical storm has reached 892.

The evacuees were reported in Barangay Mambajao (137), Nasaug (54), Soro-Soro (11), Canturing (25), Manhilo (129), Rizal (11), Combado (108), Laboon (20), Bagtican (24), Asuncion (22), Pasay (29), Maria Clara (30), Lonoy (17), Hinapu Daku (18), San Agustin (22), Abgao (11), Badiang (57), Hantag (2), Sta Cruz (11), Tagnipa (85), Ibarra (37), and Dongon (32). (SunStar Philippines)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!