Thursday, December 09, 2021

Boy lands in hospital after box jellyfish sting

AN 11-YEAR-OLD boy was rushed to a hospital after a box jellyfish stung him while swimming on the beach in Barangay VI in Tuburan town, Cebu on Wednesday, June 16, 2021.

The boy’s face, arm, and neck were swollen by the sting. He resides in the same barangay where he and his sibling went swimming.

According to National Geographic, a box jellyfish’s venom is among the deadliest in the world. It contains toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells.

The same source stated that human victims have been known to go into shock and drown or die of heart failure before reaching shore while survivors can experience pain for weeks and often have prominent scars where the tentacles clung.

Witnesses said that the boy, accompanied by his sibling, went to shore after experiencing itchiness and throbbing pain in his hand.

As of Thursday morning, June 17, the boy is still in Tuburan District Hospital and still being treated.

According to the United States National Science Foundation, 20 to 40 persons in the Philippines have already died due to the sting of a box jellyfish. (JDS, NRC)


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Create your own user feedback survey