TEN policemen were placed under restrictive custody over their involvement in an anti-illegal drug operation in Biñan, Laguna that resulted in the killing of a 16-year-old boy, Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Guillermo Eleazar said on Saturday, June 19, 2021.
The 10 officers, who include Calabarzon Police Intelligence Unit (PIU) chief Captain Fernando Credo, were also subjected to a paraffin test while a ballistics examination was conducted on their firearms.
Jhondy Helis Maglinte (previously identified as Jhondie Helis), 16, was killed along with wanted person Antonio Dalit when they allegedly drew their firearms as police tried to arrest Dalit during an operation in Barangay Canlalay on June 16, 2021.
Maglinte’s family, however, alleged that the teenager and the drug suspect were executed by the policemen.
Eleazar said personnel of the Laguna PNP Internal Affairs Service (IAS) spoke on Friday, June 18, to the relatives of Maglinte and Dalit to get their affidavits of complaint. Both families said they were not ready to give statements.
Calabarzon Police Regional Office Director Eliseo Cruz has directed the Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD) to conduct a fact-finding investigation on the incident.
Eleazar, for his part, called on other witnesses to the incident to provide statements.
“We are urging the families of Johndy Maglinte and Antonio Dalit and those who witnessed the incident to provide their statements to the PNP Internal Affairs Service as their narrations could help shed light on the incident,” said Eleazar. (SunStar Philippines)