CEBU City Councilor Joel Garganera, Emergency Operations Center (EOC) deputy chief implementer, has urged residents to avoid any form of mass gathering while coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases continue to rise in the city.
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021, the City recorded 196 new cases.
According to Garganera, the City has logged cases in the three digits in the last 10 days.
“Palihog tawon mo-cooperate ta. Disiplina ta sa atong tagsatagsa ka mga kaugalingon kay kaning atong gibuhat karon para rani kanato labi na nga moabot ang Pasko para hamugaway ug kumpleto ang atong pamilya. Sakripisyo lang una kita karon,” he appealed to residents.
(Please cooperate with the City’s health and safety measures. Practice self-discipline since what we are doing is for the good of all, especially since we want our families to be complete with Christmas fast approaching. So let’s sacrifice for the time being.)
The Department of Health (DOH) 7 logged 118 new cases on July 18, followed by 120 on July 19, 180 on July 20, 158 on July 21, 211 on July 22, 146 on July 23, 308 on July 24, 196 on July 25 and 161 on July 26.
Garganera said the cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu have coordinated to implement the same curfew hours, which are from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., and impose a liquor ban in public areas.
Garganera said the admissions of Covid-19 patients in some private hospitals in the city have reached a critical level with patients lining up inside their emergency rooms (ERs) waiting to be admitted.
Overall, though, he clarified that the critical care utilization rate (CCUR) has not reached 60 percent.
The CCUR refers to the number of intensive care units, isolation beds and ventilators in use in different health and medical facilities for Covid-19 patients.
Based on the data from the DOH 7, Cebu City now has 2,085 active cases. A total of 902 persons have died from the disease since the pandemic started at the end of March last year.