ALL the 11 people in Cebu City who succumbed to complications caused by Covid-19 from July 30, 2021 to August 2 were not vaccinated.
Four of the 11 mortalities were senior citizens, said City Councilor Joel Garganera, chief implementer of the Cebu City Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
He described the deaths as alarming.
The EOC did not say whether the unvaccinated had refused to receive vaccine jabs or they had been waiting for their vaccination schedules before they contracted the coronavirus.
Garganera said the 11 deaths— July 30 (1), July 31 (3), Aug 1(4) and Aug 2 (3)—are the highest number of deaths in the last three months since May 18, 2021, during which Covid-19 cases started to increase again.
Garganera is also worried about this current trend, which is similar to what had happened in June 2020—367 recorded deaths in what was considered as the first surge of Covid-19 cases in Cebu City.
Cebu City Health Department recorded eight deaths for the month of August and all of them were unvaccinated.