COVID-19 quarantine violators in Davao City have reached 128,558 since the city implemented the quarantine protocols in March last year, the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) reported.
According to the DCPO data from March 15, 2020 until August 4, 2021, DCPO Spokesperson Captain Rose Aguilar said 18,871 were apprehended for violating the curfew, 1,043 for the 24-hour liquor ban, 6,327 for the food and medicine (FM) pass, and 27,429 for social distancing.
The local police also apprehended 36,455 individuals for non-wearing of face masks, 10,250 for pillion riding without barrier, 26,436 for non-wearing of face shield, 142 for submitting falsified reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test results, and 1,597 for non-essential travels.
Out of the total number, 13,884 were already filed with charges, while the remaining were still under filing process.
Aguilar, meanwhile, said 57,395 were netted from July 15, 2021 until August 4, 2021, the period wherein the city was placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions.
Out of the number, 8,601 were apprehended for curfew violation, 173 for the 24-hour liquor ban, 12,357 for violating the mandatory physical distancing, 14,306 for non-wearing of face shield, 3,646 for no barrier in motorcycle, and 1,597 for non-essential travel.
Aguilar said apprehended individuals will be charged in violation of Republic Act 11332 or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act, in relation to Executive Order 12-B, Series of 2021 (Section 7. Prohibition on Mass Gathering), and in relation to Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) Omnibus guidelines, IATF Resolution 127-A, and Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Memo 21-28, Series 2021.
Aguilar reminded the public to continuously abide by the health protocols.
Meanwhile, the public is also reminded of Executive Order 65-A Series of 2020, which cited the issuances of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) Memorandum Circular 2020-014 dated August 3, 2020 mandating the wearing of face shield and face mask for all passengers in areas where public transportation is allowed; DTIand Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) Joint Memorandum Circular 20-04-A dated August 15, 2020, mandating the use of face shield with face mask; and the Inter-Agency Task Force mandating the use of face shield with face mask in supermarkets, public markets, malls, and in venues where government-initiated meetings and critical government services are being conducted.
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio also issued Executive Order No. 37, extending the 24-hour liquor ban and curfew until December 31, 2021.
Duterte-Carpio ordered police authorities to intensify their operation against individuals selling alcoholic beverages expensively within communities.
The mayor asked DCPO to strengthen their campaign against sellers of intoxicating beverages in communities after the local government received reports that alcoholic drinks are still being sold amid the liquor ban, at much higher prices by some stores.
She said drinking sessions are prone to Covid-19 transmission as physical distancing and other health protocols will not be properly observed.
Aguilar, meanwhile, said they already intensified their monitoring, especially at checkpoints, after reports that Toril residents travel to nearby areas in Davao del Sur to buy or drink liquor as there is no liquor ban in the province.
“Hugot na atong pag-monitor, hilabi na nga naay namatikdan nga ginakarga sa ilahang mga sakyanan nga mga ilimnunon sa mga kasigbit nga probinsya (We are strictly monitoring these areas after we have received reports that some motorists are carrying liquors coming from neighboring provinces),” the DCPO official said. (Jeffrey D. Muerteque, NDDU Intern/With Ralph Lawrence G. Llemit)