THE lockdown implemented by the Municipal Government of Asturias affecting its own rural health unit (RHU) proved to be effective in curbing the number of active Covid-19 cases in the town.
Asturias Mayor Antonio Pintor told SunStar Cebu that he ordered a lockdown of their RHU after its head nurse got infected with the coronavirus last week.
Pintor said all RHU personnel were swabbed and one midwife tested positive of the virus.
The two infected personnel finished their quarantine period on Thursday, Aug. 26, 2021.
RHU data shows that as of Aug. 26, Asturias logged 49 active cases, no new case, 160 total recoveries and 21 total deaths bringing the town’s total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases to 230.
According to the RHU, the highest number of new cases in the town were recorded on Aug. 6 (13), Aug. 19 (12), Aug. 14 (11), and Aug. 21 (10); while other days of August logged single digit figures except for Aug. 8, 9, 10, 12, 18 and 26 which had no reported new Covid cases at all.
Asturias’s vaccination rollout resumed on Friday, Aug. 27, after the RHU lockdown which began on Aug. 19 ended on Aug. 26.
Meanwhile, Pintor said, Asturias has intensified its information drive on the importance of vaccines to prevent the worst effects of Covid-19, especially the Delta variant, on people’s health.
Pintor noted that some residents remained hesitant to get their jabs.
He said less than 10 percent of the target population have been fully vaccinated.
Asturias has a total population of 55,397.