SECTIONS
Cebu
Thursday, October 28, 2021
CEBU

Fire displaces 4 families in Talisay City

FIREFIGHT. Firefighters point their hoses at the burnt houses in Sitio Zone 2 in Barangay Biasong which were hit by a fire on Saturday morning, Sept. 11, 2021. / Talisay City government

AROUND four families lost their homes when a late morning fire hit Sitio Zone 2, Barangay Biasong in Talisay City on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021.

Based on a report provided by the Talisay City Fire Station, the fire started around 10:35 a.m.

The fire began at the two-story house of Maria Victoria Panugalinog.

Firefighters immediately arrived at the fire scene at around 10:41 a.m.

They placed the fire at second alarm.

The fire was placed under control at around 11 a.m. and was declared out 10 minutes later.

One house was destroyed while two others were damaged after the fire.

The fire damage was pegged at around P210,000.

At least 13 individuals, composed of four families, were displaced after the fire.

Fire Officer 1 Jayson Balabag, who was one of those investigating the cause of the fire, was told by Panugalinog that the fire began at the second floor of her house.

An unattended ceiling fan was reportedly the cause of the fire, Panugalinog told fire investigators.

But Balabag said they can’t conclude that yet as they are still conducting investigation on the fire.

Fortunately, no one was killed or hurt during the incident.

In a statement sent to SunStar Cebu, Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas Jr. said some of the fire victims had been relocated to the Barangay Biasong Hall while others were staying at the barangay’s chapel.

Gullas said he has requested the Talisay City Social Welfare Office (CSWO) to address the fire victims’ needs, including providing hot meals and sleeping and hygiene kits while they are staying at their temporary evacuation center.

He has also requested the CSWO to start processing the cash assistance for the fire victims.

Gullas also requested the City Health Office to monitor the condition of the fire victims to prevent possible Covid-19 infection while they are still recovering from the incident.

“We have requested officials to monitor the condition of the fire victims, especially if they are showing symptoms of Covid-19. We also requested them to prepare the evacuation site with consideration of our current health protocols,” Gullas added.

Gullas added he has also created a donation drive for the fire victims.

Those interested in donating for the fire victims in Biasong can contact Tristan Rama (09223925277), Jason Candia (09323333612) or Christian Lazarte (09270382452). (JKV)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Create your own user feedback survey
sunstar.com.ph