SECTIONS
Davao
Friday, September 24, 2021
DAVAO

Davao police filing charges vs 20 persons, resort owner for holding birthday party

Photo credit to DCPO

POLICE authorities in Davao City are now preparing to file charges against 20 individuals and a resort owner for conducting a birthday party despite the city being under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions.

On Sunday, September 12, 2021, the City Tourism Operations Office (CTOO) launched an operation, together with the personnel of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO), at a resort in Catalunan Pequeño.

The joint team conducted a random inspection of the tourism establishment, identified as MB Family Resort, to implement the provisions of the GCQ with heightened restriction guidelines.

Based on the report, the establishment was caught hosting a birthday party with about 20 guests including adults and children in Purok 1 Km 13, Catalunan Pequeño, Davao City. Health protocols such as physical distancing were not observed.

The guests and resort owner violated the Inter-Agency Task Force Resolution Number 130-A series of 2021 for the Management of the Emerging Infectious Diseases, the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Memorandum Circular No. 21-28 series of 2021 under Category III.

“Mice (meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions) and social events are not allowed. Pools are also not allowed to operate under DTI advisory 21-16 Guidelines in GCQ,” the report said.

DCPO director Colonel Kirby John Kraft said in a virtual presser on Wednesday, September 15, that cases are being prepared against the concerned family and the resort management.

He said the respondents will be charged with violating Republic Act 11332, or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.

“Ang napa-file namin kaso dito (We filed a case) [in] violation of section 9 of the Republic Act 11332 for non-cooperation. [Ito ang] ginagawa natin sa mga nahuhuli kasama ang (This is what we do to the apprehended violators including the) owner management,” Kraft said.

The city and police authorities had previously apprehended a wedding reception inside a resort for violating the city's mandate against social gatherings.

The police official also said the Cybercrime Response Team is also conducting monitoring on resorts having online booking to determine the establishments violating the order of the city.

CTOO head Generose Tecson said in a previous interview that social events are strictly prohibited, especially in resorts and restaurants, as these could cause mass gatherings that are vulnerable to Covid-19 transmission.

Tecson said Mice events were previously allowed in the city, with a maximum capacity of 25 guests in the venue including the organizers. They, however, needed to secure an acknowledgment letter from their office.

This was suspended since June 7, when the city was placed under modified enhanced community quarantine.

Despite being under GCQ with heightened restrictions in early July, Tecson said the issuance of acknowledgment letters from their office is still suspended.

Kraft warned the public against violating quarantine guidelines set by the government and sought the public’s cooperation to prevent the spread of the virus amid a surge in cases in the city.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, in an interview on Monday, September 13, also told the public to avoid unessential activities.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph