SECTIONS
Davao
Tuesday, October 19, 2021
DAVAO

Davao City shutdowns 2 resorts in Toril

Photo credit to Generose Tecson

THE Davao City Government had shut down two resorts in Daliao, Toril on Saturday, September 18, 2021, for operating without business permits and accepting social events, which is prohibited as the city is under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions.

City Tourism Operations Office (CTOO) Head Generose Tecson told SunStar Davao that the Business Bureau caught the resorts conducting wedding, birthday and baptismal parties.

Tecson said their team saw many children in the event not wearing face masks.

The guests and resort owner violated the Inter-Agency Task Force Resolution Number 130-A series of 2021 for the Management of the Emerging Infectious Diseases, the Department of Tourism and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Memorandum Circular No. 21-28 series of 2021 under Category III.

“Mice (meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions) and social events are not allowed. Pools are also not allowed to operate under DTI advisory 21-16 Guidelines in GCQ,” the report said.

Tecson reiterated that now is not the time to conduct social events as the city is experiencing a surge of Covid-19 cases, with household transmission as the common contributor.

"This goes also for those who hold their events outside the city. Covid is not just in Davao City. Please rethink twice, thrice, four times. You may be happy for that moment, but what about those lives that you will affect [if you] or the partygoers turn out positive?" the official said.

"Sad because we have all the protocols in place. People have to be responsible for their actions if we want to manage this surge," she added.

Tecson also urged venues and event organizers to educate their clients.

Mice events were previously allowed in the city, with a maximum capacity of 25 guests in the venue including the organizers. They, however, needed to secure an acknowledgment letter from their office. However, this was suspended on June 7, when the city was placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

Despite not being under MECQ as the city was placed under GCQ with heightened restrictions since early July, Tecson said the issuance of acknowledgment letters from their office is still suspended.

On Sunday, September 12, CTOO also launched an operation, together with the personnel of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO), at a resort in Catalunan Pequeño.

The joint team conducted a random inspection of the tourism establishment, identified as MB Family Resort, to implement the provisions of the GCQ with heightened restriction guidelines.

Based on the report, the establishment in Purok 1 Km 13, Catalunan Pequeño, Davao City was caught hosting a birthday party with about 20 guests including adults and children. Health protocols such as physical distancing were not observed.


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph