THE Bureau of Immigration (BI) said it is now ready to accommodate more returning overseas Filipinos.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that he has instructed the BI’s Port Operations Division to conduct an assessment of manpower needed for the proposed increase of arrivals.
The move comes after the announcement of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) that it plans to increase the arrival cap by exploring alternative gateways to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), Clark International Airport (CIA), and the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA).
“With the recent hiring of almost a hundred immigration officers, we are confident that we can supply the needed manpower for the possible increase in arrivals,” said Morente.
Earlier this month, 99 new immigration officers were deployed to NAIA.
Said immigration officers are undergoing their on-the-job training prior to their full deployment in the immigration counters.
“An additional batch of newly hired immigration officers are expected to be trained by the year-end,” said Morente.
“We are currently fast-tracking their application so they can be deployed in time for the increase of the number of international passengers,” he added.
Morente said he hopes that international travel will bounce back soon, following the aggressive vaccination campaign of the government.
September 30, 2021
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!