VETERAN broadcaster Diosdado Pangilinan officially made the jump into politics on Monday, October 4, after filing his certificate of candidacy (COC) for mayor of Mabalacat City in the 2022 elections.
As part of his yearly devotion, Pangilinan attended the 9 a.m. Mass celebrating the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, then he filed his COC as independent candidate at 10 a.m. at a local Commission on Elections (Comelec) office. A press conference held at Bale-Balita, Clark Freeport Zone followed his COC filing.
He does not have an official line up from vice-mayor to city councilors but he will support reelectionists Congressman Carmelo Jon Lazatin (1D-Pampanga), Governor Dennis Pineda, and Vice Governor Lilia Pineda.
During the meeting with members of the press, Pangilinan itemized his platforms of government or 7-point working agenda that would bring tangible impact on improving the living conditions of the Mabalaquenos:
* Streamlining of the business registration system / Implement “Easing Doing Business” Schemes
* Develop global partnership for growth and development (e.g. Clark freeport investors and international aid agencies)
* Assurance of socio-economic sustainability (investment and tourism promotions, job generation)
* Strategic alliance and partnership with NGOs, private sector and volunteers to provide livelihood and other skills trainings
* Implement affordable and doable PPAs (programs, projects and activities)
* Achieve universal primary education (Provide free gadgets and wifi for learners and educators, risograph machines and other printing equipment, supplies and materials)
* Covid-19 response (Modern and well equipped isolation facilities, Ronda and Sundo Bakuna in the barangay level), Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases;
* Protect maternal health
* Reduce child mortality
4. Peace and order
* Crime prevention and war on drugs
* Strengthen barangay peace and order councils
* Maximize police visibility
* Effective Traffic Management (traffic signalization, speed restrictions, parking system)
5. Social services
* Establishment of a locally funded home for the homeless senior citizens, and street children;
* Financial aids and medical assistance to senior citizens, persons w/ disabilities and solo parents
* Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger (e.g. Rice subsidy, home-based livelihood)
* Promote gender equality
* Ensure environmental sustainability (e.g. Effective water waste treatment and management)
* Disaster preparedness and management
* Massive tree planting
7. Good governance
* Fight corruption
* Public accountability
* Transparency in procurement and public bidding
* Strong and harmonious executive–legislative relationship
Pangilinan was among the prime movers in the conversion of the municipality of Mabalacat into a city, and the creation of the Mabalacat City College.
He spearheaded the annual 1st Caragan Festival and he was also instrumental as TWG member for the establishment of the Mabalacat City Bus Terminal in Barangay Dau.
He also pushed for the direct remittance of the gross income earned (GIE) shares of Mabalacat from the Clark Freeport Zone. He also played a major role in the modernization of the Mabalacat Water District as chairman of the board.
At present, he is the communications officer of the Angeles City Government and main anchor of Mayor Pogi Lazatin’s Lingkod Bayan program.
Pangilinan started as a newspaperman in 1988 in the Central Luzon Times, The Voice, Headline Central Luzon and Punto Central Luzon, then from 1992-1994 he became a broadcaster at GVFM then transferred to RWFM 95.1 in 1995.
He was elected four times as president of the Pampanga Press Club, and an active member of the Kapisanan ng mga Brodcaster ng Pilipinas. He is also the founder of the reigning number one news portal iOrbitnNews Online in Central Luzon, which recently received a plaque of recognition from the Chevalier School-Sacred Heart Seminary Alumni Association for the factual coverage on the issue of Chevalier’s continued existence and educational service within the metro Clark area, including Mabalacat City. (PR)
EYEING THE MAYORAL POST. Veteran broadcaster Diosdado "Deng" Pangilinan officially made the jump into politics on Monday, October 4, after filing his certificate of candidacy as an independent mayoral candidate of Mabalacat City. (Contributed photo)
October 04, 2021
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!