A “HERCULEAN vacuum,” was how colleagues in Cebu’s media industry described the death of one of their own—popular radio commentator and television newscaster Pablito “Super Bob” Nalzaro, who died at the age of 58 on Thursday, March 17, 2022.

In a statement, the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) Cebu chapter said Nalzaro’s passing “left a Herculean vacuum” in Cebu’s broadcast industry.

“The media landscape in Cebu will never be the same without ‘Superbob’ especially on the air. As we utter prayers for the eternal repose of his soul, we are grateful for the lessons he left behind for the up and coming tri-media practitioners in our midst,” said Fr. Bobby Ebisa, station manager of Radio dyRF and current KBP Cebu chapter president.

“His fearless passion and unquenchable thirst for the truth and proclaiming it in the airwaves is second to none. Indeed, a legacy worth emulating,” Ebisa added.

Nalzaro or “Bobby” to his friends, previously served as KBP Cebu chapter president and regional coordinator of the organization.

Meanwhile, in a statement, SunStar Publishing Inc. also mourned Nalzaro’s passing.

Nalzaro was as a longtime columnist for SunStar Cebu and Superbalita Cebu.

“In more than two decades of column writing for SunStar, Nalzaro exposed corruption and illegal activities in both the government and the private sector, earning the ire of people in power, from politicians to businessmen, policemen and jail management officials,” read part of the statement.

“He stared down death threats and legal harassment for his stinging commentaries. His defense of the oppressed and victims of abuse earned him a legion of followers who relied on his fearless commentaries to give voice to their torments and attain justice,” it added.

“Though he was acerbic in his public persona, in private, this son of a farmer was unassuming and soft-spoken. He was a friend to many to whom he had given the free gift of his kindness and help,” the statement further said.

Nalzaro’s news sources also offered their condolences to his family.

Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas Jr. said he was saddened upon hearing news that Nalzaro had died.

Gullas said he only started to know the broadcaster personally during his first year as a congressman in 2013.

Gullas said despite being the subject of the radioman’s commentaries from time to time, he admired Nalzaro for his “dedication to truth-telling.”

“Sometimes he liked me. Sometimes he didn’t. But at the end of the day, my respect for a legend in media remained,” Gullas said.

A wake will be held for Nalzaro at the Our Lady of China chapel at the Archdiocesan Shrine of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus on D. Jakosalem St. in Cebu City from Friday, March 18, 2022 to Sunday, March 20 where a mass will be held for him nightly at 8 p.m.

On Monday, March 21, a burial mass will be held at the same parish at 1 p.m. after which his remains will be cremated.