THE Philippine National Police (PNP) is intensifying its operations against online cockfight betting (e-sabong) amid the suspension order issued by President Rodrigo Duterte.
In a press conference on Wednesday, May 18, 2022, PNP spokesperson Colonel Jean Fajardo said the PNP Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) has identified six sites operating e-sabong, adding that a case build-up is already ongoing.
She said the ACG has requested for the taking down of these websites, but it may take at least two weeks.
“Nasabi naman ng ating PNP leadership na wala tayong sisinuhin dito sa ating investigation at malinaw naman ‘yung ibinabang kautusan ng Pagcor (Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation), suspended lahat ngayon ng operation ng e-sabong because na rin sa utos ng ating Presidente as an offshoot sa sunod-sunod na insidente involving ‘yung operations ng e-sabong,” said Fajardo.
“So may mga napangalanan, ngayon we are trying to find out and establish whether ‘yung six na napangalanan na nabigyan ng permit ng Pagcor ay involve dito sa mga nakikita at namo-monitor natin mga illegal e-sabong sites,” she added.
Fajardo said that so far, all physical e-sabong betting sites have already been shut down following Duterte’s order, which was issued on May 3 amid the investigation on the disappearances of 34 e-sabong enthusiasts.
Earlier, Pagcor identified the sites illegally operating e-sabong as follows: pinassabong.live, pclive1.com, sabong-express.net, phbetting.live, goperya.com, phbet44.bet, phbet.bet and phbetr.bet.
PNP Director for Operations Major General Valeriano de Leon said they will first ensure that no PNP personnel are engaged in e-sabong operations, either as players or as collectors of protection money.
"Sa ating mga kababayan na tumatangkilik sa e-sabong, umaapela ako sa inyo na huwag nating labagin ang batas dahil nilalagay niyo sa alanganin ang mga sweldo niyo na dapat ay para sa pamilya niyo," said De Leon.
"We are appealing to the e-sabong operators to immediately suspend their illegal operations; otherwise, you will face serious problems in the future when e-sabong operations resume,” he added.
Fajardo said eight PNP personnel have been penalized over involvement in e-sabong operations prior to its suspension. (SunStar Philippines)
May 18, 2022
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!