CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama has appointed retired Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Debold Sinas as a member of the city’s advisory board.

Rama introduced Sinas during the city’s flag-raising ceremony at City Hall on Monday, July 4, 2022.

Before he became PNP chief in November 2020, Sinas was previously the director of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO 7) from July 2018 to October 2019.

After his stint in PRO 7, Sinas served as chief of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) before then President Rodrigo Duterte appointed him PNP chief.

According to Rama, the retired four-star general is not tired and will continue to be of service because of his love for Cebu City.

In an interview with reporters, Sinas said he accepted the role and expressed his happiness at being back in Cebu.

“Malipayon ko nga nibalik na pud ko og Cebu because the very reason mao nang ganahan ko og Cebu because I just love Cebu City,” Sinas said.

Sinas also said he accepted the challenge because of Rama’s goal of having the city achieve a status similar to that of Singapore.

It is now time to elevate the status of the city since it has a lot of potential, he added.

The former PNP chief said he and his former colleagues in the police force will pledge their support to the mayor to help improve peace and order in the city.

“Maasahan ninyo nga kami (at) ako will help maintain (peace and order) ug tanan nakong nahibaw-an, akong mga experience kay pirmi nakong ihatag dili lang sa police kung dili kauban sa Bureau of Fire ug sa BJMP (Bureau of Jail Management and Penology),” said Sinas.

Sinas said he would include the barangay tanods in his programs for peace and order.

Controversies

As PRO 7 chief, Sinas courted controversy including in his implementation of “Oplan Sauron” in 2019 which led to the deaths of 14 people, suspected to be communist insurgents, in Negros Oriental.

As NCRPO chief, he received heavy criticism for the “mañanita” dawn serenade held for his 55th birthday at the headquarters of the NCRPO in Taguig City in 2020 which violated quarantine rules on physical distancing and mass gatherings amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sinas was then promoted by Duterte to lead the 200,000-strong PNP force in November 2020.

After serving as PNP Chief for six months, Sinas retired in May 2021 but he was again appointed by Duterte as undersecretary at the Office of the President in September 2021.