MANDAUE City has allotted P3 million for the Pasigarbo sa Sugbo competition.

Marie Immaline Cortes-Zafra, councilor and chairman of the Committee on Tourism, told reporters on Tuesday, August 9, 2022, that the budget comprises P2 million from the City Government and P1 million from the Provincial Government.

In July, Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia promised to give P1-million assistance to those joining the competition, except for towns in Bantayan and Camotes that will have P1.5 million each.

Cortes-Zafra said the budget would suffice for the costumes, props, and the dancers' other needs.

There will be a total of 100 dancers and 60 props men that will represent Mandaue in the competition.

All of them are students from different schools in the city, such as Mandaue City School for the Arts, Mandaue City Comprehensive National High School and Mandaue City Central School, among others.

The dancers went through screening and auditions, and the proper rehearsal started during the last week of July, said Cortes-Zafra.

Cortes-Zafra said the rehearsal is now in full swing as the contest draws near.

She added that they, as much as possible, aim to make Mandaue's Pasigarbo sa Sugbo presentation grandiose but without sacrificing the enjoyment of their participants.

Pasigarbo sa Sugbo, known as the festival of all festivals, is set to return on August 28, 2022 at the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC) grounds. Admission is free.

For Mandaue City, Cortes-Zafra said they will still showcase their "Panagtabo Festival," or the reenactment of the meeting of the Holy Family where Sto. Niño de Cebu and the Our Lady of Guadalupe will meet St. Joseph, the patron of Mandaue.

They hope to defend their title, as they won the "Best in Andas" during the Pasigarbo competition in 2019. (HIC)