AROUND 1,500 flood-stricken families in Misamis Oriental have received P7.5-million worth of cash assistance and food and relief packages during the distribution of various government assistance led by President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos on January 11, 2023 to the victims affected by the recent shear line.

The shear line, which prevailed last month, has brought heavy rainfall and flooding in some parts of Northern Mindanao. A total of 18,452 families in 45 barangays in Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental were affected by flooding.

The massive flooding in the city also caused the destruction of 987 houses, of which 168 were "totally" destroyed.

The president, during his visit to the city, assured that the government will find resettlement housing for families whose houses were totally damaged. Marcos also vowed that they will provide rebuilding materials to assist families, whose houses were partially damaged, rebuild their homes.

Marcos also told the families staying in the evacuation centers that the government will take care of their basic needs such as food and shelter.

"Kaya't tinitiyak namin na lahat kayo na hindi pa makauwi sa iyong mga tahanan at nandito pa sa mga evacuation center ay nasusuportahan, naaalagaan, meron kayong kinakain, meron kayong tinutulugan," Marcos said.

"Patuloy ang aming ginagawa at titiyakin namin na habang nandito pa kayo, we'll make sure na kayo ay -- lahat ng pangangailangan ninyo ay makukuha ninyo," he added.