THE Barangay Council of San Roque in Talisay City, Cebu has passed a resolution seeking a ban on larger trucks, including garbage trucks, for three months to give way to the construction of a water drainage system in the barangay.
The resolution requests Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas Jr. to implement the ban as he has the executive power to issue an order.
San Roque’s barangay council has already submitted copies of the resolution to Gullas and Jonathan Tumulak, head of the City of Talisay-Traffic Operations Development Authority (CT-Toda), the city’s agency that manages traffic and enforces traffic ordinances.
The truck ban, which was supposed to start Wednesday, Jan. 25, was moved to a later date to give time to the Cebu City Government to prepare in case Gullas will issue a truck ban order.
Tumulak said that currently the garbage trucks from Cebu City going to the transfer station in the Inayawan dumpsite often pass through the construction site in San Roque.
Tumulak added the truck ban policy aims to avoid delays in the drainage construction project.
“Wala man hinoon naapil sa ilang resolusyon nga tungod sa nangatagak nga basura gikan sa truck. Kini man gud ilang drainage project molungtad ni ug tulo ka bulan kon walay mga kakulian sama sa kusog nga ulan,” Tumulak said.
(There is no mention of trash falling from the garbage trucks in the resolution. Their (Barangay San Roque) drainage project is expected to be completed in three months if there are no complications such as heavy rains).
Tumulak said his office had already informed the Cebu City Department of Public Services and the office of Vice Mayor Raymond Alvin Garcia.
If the truck ban pushes through, Tumulak said traffic personnel will be deployed in the area to guide motorists.
The drainage project is supported by the Talisay City Government, Tumulak said. (BBT / TPT)