(Foreword: This is the continuation of our response to the letter of Marienette of Maco on her hair loss problem)
Dear Marienette of Maco,
Moving on... last time we talked about hypothyroidism as one reason someone can lose hair. If this is your problem, avoid drinking tap water because it has fluorine and chlorine. These are two chemicals that block iodine absorption. You can also supplement yourself with 100 mg or 1 mL of the herb bladderwrack daily. I hope you see your physician to sort out a possible problem with your thyroid gland.
4. Get those essential fatty acids.
5. Increase biotin in your diet. Get them from nuts, brown rice, and oats.
6. Increase keratin production using Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM. A study has shown that a hundred percent of people who supplemented with MSM had reduced their hair loss and increased their hair growth in just six weeks.
7. Revitalize your hair follicles with vitamin B-complex. A hundred mg a day of a B-complex supplement that has biotin and vitamin B6 can lessen hair thinning by increasing circulation in the scalp and reviving hair follicles.
8. Speed up collagen production using vitamin C. The best way to improve collagen is by getting ourselves more vitamin C. So, be sure to stuff up with foods that are rich in vitamin C like - citrus fruits and guava. Giving yourself around 250 to 500 mg a day can help increase collagen production – which could help those wrinkles shrink.
But since we are running out of space again this time, let me continue this in my next issue. Until then again!
Dr. Fritz Legarde Espedilla is an aesthetic dermatologist and surgeon and clinical sexologist. For your questions, you may send them to Dear Dr. Fritz, c/o Sunstar-Davao Publishing Inc., Ebro-Pelayo Building 1, Juan Luna St., Davao City, or e-mail them to email@example.com. If you don’t wish your letter to be published, we regret that we cannot answer them. Thank you for your understanding.