JUSTICE Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla urged Negros Oriental Third District Representative Arnolfo Teves Jr., who has been implicated in the murder of Governor Roel Degamo, to “stop the drama” and just return to the country and face the allegations against him.
“Well, it’s a lot of drama no. Umuwi na lang siya kung meron siyang pag-aalinlangan, he should just go home. Tama na ‘yung arte. Masyado siyang maarte,” Remulla said when asked if he responded to Teves’ text message to him.
Remulla refused, however, to further comment on the recent video uploaded by Teves, where the lawmaker asked for the government investigators to be fair in the ongoing probe on Degamo’s assassination.
Teves was meted with 60-day suspension by the House of Representatives due to his “disorderly behavior” amid his refusal to return to the country and get back to work.
Degamo was killed in his residence in Pamplona town on March 4.
Remulla said so far, 10 suspects in Degamo’s killing were former members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, including nine who “directly” participated in the killing are now under the government’s custody. Four of the suspects were arrested while the others surrendered.
“Itong last batch (of surrenderers), they were able to extricate themselves after the operation, nakapag safe house pa sila, nakapunta pa sila sa ibang lugar at doon sila kinausap sa ibang lugar kaya meron, merong tumulong sa kanila,” he said in a separate press conference.
He said there were at least five more individuals, including the mastermind, who are being looked into by the investigators.
Remulla expressed confidence that with the testimonies of the gunmen and the pieces of evidence they have at hand, they will arrive with an air-tight case against the suspects, especially the mastermind in Degamo’s killing.
On Wednesday morning, March 22, Remulla met with Degamo’s widow, Janice, mayor of Pamplona town, and eight other mayors from Negros Oriental where they discussed the current peace and order situation in the province.
He said the local officials gave them more details about what is happening in the province.
“They’re giving us documents that we can work on,” Remulla said.
“Tine-trace lang namin kasi (We are just tracing because) there may be other cases that we will have to file later on. We’ll just have to examine and build up the cases,” he added.
Remulla earlier said they are seeing a “pattern of impunity” in the province.
This came following the filing of murder charges against Remulla and several individuals over the death of three individuals in Dumaguete City in 2019. (SunStar Philippines)
MANILA. Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla. (File photo)
March 23, 2023
- A A +
SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce, or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.
Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!