CITY OF SAN FERNANDO—About 2,141 students received a total of ?23.4 million in compensation from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Provincial Government of Pampanga.

The students received the compensation under DOLE’s Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).

Pampanga Governor Dennis "Delta" Pineda, DOLE officials, and provincial board members distributed the cheques at the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center here.

Each student received compensation worth ?10,940. Of the total salary, the provincial government provided 60 percent (?14,053,524), while the remaining 40 percent (?9,369,016) came from DOLE's counterpart funding.

The payout is for the completion of the students’ 20-day work assignments in various government offices.

The allocation for SPES was given to Local Government Units (LGUs) to ensure that financially disadvantaged and deserving students across the 505 barangays in the province are accommodated.

These beneficiaries represent the second batch of SPES students for the year. The first batch of 2,500 students received their salaries on April 4.

Pineda emphasized the importance of using the opportunity to study as an investment for each student's future.

He also encouraged them to consider their education as their capital for establishing their own families in the future.