Marcos keeps Gadon as presidential adviser

(From left to right) President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Larry Gadon
(From left to right) President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Larry Gadon

PRESIDENT Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. does not see the disbarment of Larry Gadon as a reason for him to be removed from his post as Presidential Adviser on Poverty Alleviation.

Related story: Gadon loses law practice, remains presidential adviser

In a statement on Wednesday evening, June 28, 2023, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said Marcos “felt that his work as presidential adviser will not get affected by his status as a lawyer.”

“The President believes he will do a good job,” said Bersamin.

“He will continue in his new role as presidential adviser on poverty alleviation as there are urgent matters that need to be done in the President’s anti poverty programs,” he added.

It was on Monday, June 26, that the Malacañang announced Gadon’s appointment as Presidential Adviser on Poverty Alleviation in which his main task is to advise the president on "combating poverty and improving the lives of the most vulnerable sectors of society.

Opposition Senator Risa Hontiveros earlier urged Marcos to reconsider the appointment of Gadon saying he is a “disgrace” and does not inspire confidence in the Cabinet.

“Gadon holds neither title nor expertise to justify his appointment. Pushing through with the decision will only demoralize the bureaucracy by incentivizing an official whom the Court unanimously does not trust,” she said.

“This will be a slap in the face for our legal professionals, and yet another black eye on good governance so early on in the current administration,” she added.

The Supreme Court unanimously voted on Tuesday in favor of the revocation of Gadon’s license to practice law over “misogynistic, sexist, abusive, and repeated intemperate language” in a video that went viral in December 2021.

The video was intended against journalist Raissa Robles who Gadon accused of spreading lies against then presidential candidate Marcos.

Gadon said he will file for a motion for reconsideration on the SC’s decision which he tagged as “too harsh for the alleged cause.”

In a television interview, he said he will not apologize over the matter.

“I will not apologize. The trouble with the Supreme Court is that they did not see why I had that kind of outburst,” he said.

He said the SC’s decision was a “political decision rather than a meritorious decision” noting that he filed an impeachment complaint against Associate Justice Marvic Leonen in 2019 and against former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno in 2017, which resulted in her removal from the office.

Gadon has been previously convicted by the court and suspended from the practice of law for three months over similar offense years back.

He was warned against severe sanction once the offense will be committed again.

There are six other administrative cases pending before the Office of the Discipline of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines. (SunStar Philippines)

Trending

No stories found.

Just in

No stories found.

Branded Content

No stories found.
SunStar Publishing Inc.
www.sunstar.com.ph