THE elderly woman who died after she was hit by a Ceres bus in Cebu City last Monday has been identified as Rose Gaw Uy, 67, by her brother-in-law Avelino Cerbedor.
She was on her way to visit her son when she was hit by the bus and died.
Uy was living with her sister Macaria, Cerbedor’s wife, on Carlock St., said Jonathan Tumulak, chief of Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) Operations Division.
The victim’s parents were Chinese nationals.
Uy left the house two hours before the accident happened at past 7 a.m.
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) 7 has ordered the management of Ceres Bus Liners to explain why their fleet should not be suspended.
In a TV 5 Aksyon Bisaya report yesterday, LTFRB 7 Acting Director Reynaldo Elnar said he plans to send a show-cause order to Vallacar Transit Inc. within this week.
The bus company will be required to explain and to submit an accident report to LTFRB 7 within 72 hours or they will be fined P3,000 for non-compliance, Elnar said.
But Elnar clarified that before they could implement a preventive suspension on the bus liner’s franchise, they need to investigate.
Elnar said the driver of the bus, Joffrey Borres, will not only be criminally charged but will also be fined for reckless imprudence resulting in homicide.
The bus (612-CEH) was heading to the Cebu South Bus Terminal from Carcar City when it hit Uy.
Uy was thrown 12 meters on impact before the bus dragged her for four more meters.
A portion of the bus’ windshield was shattered.
Earlier reports said that Citom suspected Borres was going beyond the 40-kilometer per hour (kph) speed limit when he hit the woman.
Cebedor told Tumulak that Uy had been living on Carlock St. for more than 30 years. She was separated from her husband.
Their family operates a junk shop on Carlock St. The victim was claimed by her family from a funeral parlor last Monday at 9 p.m.
The house of Uy’s son is near the place of incident.