THE court yesterday ordered the release of Larry Ting, the 54-year-old suspected mastermind in the shooting of his uncle, businessman Nicolas Ting, after he posted a P200,000-bail yesterday.
Regional Trial Court Judge Marilyn Lagura-Yap signed Larry's release order at 4 p.m. or after the suspect posted bail through Plaridel Surety and Insurance Company.
Larry's counsel, Nilo Seno, told reporters he will ask his client to be extra careful and avoid his usual routine as the accused
is facing a "very sensitive" case, referring to the frustrated complaint he and three others are facing.
When asked where his client will go after his release, Seno said, "To a sumptuous meal."
This, as his three co-accused were transferred to separate detention centers.
Yap remanded suspected middleman Edwin Juab, 28, and the driver of the get-away vehicle Jordan Miral, 30, to the Mandaue City Jail.
Larry, Juab, Miral and a 16-year-old alleged gunman are facing a frustrated murder complaint for the shooting of Nicolas last June 21 in Barangay Cabancalan, Mandaue city.
The alleged gunman, being a minor, was remanded to Operation Second Chance, a rehabilitation center for juveniles in Barangay Kalunasan, Cebu City.
The 16-year-old minor, according to Assistant City Prosecutor Felixberto Geromo's information, "acted with discernment of the crime of frustrated murder."
Republic Act 9344, the Juvenile Justice Act, governs the process involving a child in conflict with the law.
A child above 15 years but below 18 years of age is exempt from criminal liability and will be subjected to an intervention program, unless he or she has acted with discernment, in which case, such child will be subjected to the appropriate proceedings in accordance with the law.
Police are eyeing Larry's unpaid P20-million loan from Nicolas as the possible motive in the shooting.
He allegedly sought the help of the middleman, Juab, who in turn contacted Miral and the gunman.
"…with intent to kill and evident premeditation, conspiring, confederating and helping each other and using a black Suzuki motorcycle … as a getaway vehicle during the commission of the crime," Geromo also said.
Meanwhile, Task Force Ting Head Sr. Supt. Melvin Ramon Buenafe said Larry "can't be a potent threat" to anyone as the police will be monitoring him.
"Due to the revelation of the suspects, it will be hard for him to make adverse moves," Buenafe told Sun.Star Cebu in a text message.
Nicolas's family earlier said they are worried for their security with the release of Larry.
But Buenafe said the family did not request for police protection.
"So far we have not received an official request for a police escort from the family," he said.
But Buenafe said a "continuous monitoring will be conducted to ensure that the family will be safe from possible retaliatory threats."
Larry denied he masterminded the attempt on the life of his uncle.
During the inquest proceedings at the Mandaue City Prosecutor's Office, Larry told Nicolas's son, Nixon, he treated Nicolas as his father.
Nicolas, 69, was shot in the face and chest but survived the attack.
Larry also denied knowing Juab and the other co-accused.
The four were arrested by the Task Force Ting last June 29.
PRO 7 Director Lani-O Nerez told reporters in a separate interview that Juab's "positive identification" of Larry could bring progress to the case.
"It would be very impossible for him (Juab) nga maghimo-himo siya'g statement nga morag wa kaila sa iyang ka-isturya (to make up stories like he doesn't know who he was talking to)," he said. (OCP/KAL)