MANILA - Malacañang is willing to provide security for former Agriculture secretary Luis "Cito" Lorenzo who may turn state witness in the multi-million fertilizer fund scam.
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said they will not doubt in giving protection to Lorenzo who has been reportedly receiving threats since he came back to the country.
Lorenzo, in a television interview on Wednesday, admitted that there were threats on his life but assured he will testify and reveal what he knows about the P728-million fertilizer fund scam, wherein funds intended for farmers were allegedly used in the 2004 election campaign of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
"He mentioned that there were threats. If it is necessary and if it is for furtherance in searching for the truth, if he requests we will provide him," Lacierda said.
President Benigno Aquino III earlier said that Lorenzo could possibly testify in the revival of the case of fertilizer fund scam through the Truth Commission.
Lacierda said the fertilizer fund scam is one of the cases the Truth Commission wanted to put closure on.
"The Truth Commission will consider his culpability. To what degree is his participation and from there, they will be able to determine if he is least guilty and be discharged as state witness," he said.
Lorenzo, along with his former Agriculture undersecretary Jocelyn "Jocjoc" Bolante, fled the country in 2006 to avoid testifying in the Senate inquiry on the controversial scam.
Aquino revealed seeing Lorenzo during the party of Boy Montelibano, the husband of his campaign media bureau head Maria Montelibano.
He assured that he will not be soft on Lorenzo despite his brother, Martin, had been crucial in his recent campaign, donating P20 million for his presidential bid. Martin also was the President's batch mate in Ateneo high school. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)