CLOSE TO 20 teams were the early birds as the third season of the Benguet Basketball League (BBL) opens next month at the La Trinidad municipal gymnasium.

“So far 20 teams pa lang ang sigurado,” said BBL Commissioner Jerico Portuguez in a text message.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

The BBL commissioner said they are still expecting a number of participants to list up for the tournament which will open on Aug. 8.

“Deadline for the submission of team galleries for those interested will be on the 30th of July,” added Portuguez.

Five brackets are being eyed in the tournament that will use the FINBA rules 2008 with teams from Bracket A expected to lure Baguio and Benguet’s former college dribblers.

The tournament, now on its second year, aims to establish better rapport among the youth and citizens of La Trinidad and neighboring Benguet towns which will further lead to brotherhood and eventually minimize untoward incidents and physical injuries.

Portuguez said the tournament will be a round robin format of play depending on the number of teams per bracket with the top four teams advancing to the semi-final round with the top two teams having a twice to beat advantage.

In case of tie, the FIBA tie breaking system will be applied either win over the other or goal average will be used to determine the standing.

Organizers added they aim to build camaraderie and foster relationships, development, and improvement among trading post stakeholders especially since there are diversified cultural roots of people transacting at the economic enterprise zone after the success of its predecessor, the La Trinidad Trading Post Basketball tournament.

The league was later on expanded to accommodate more teams from other parts of Benguet.

Interested teams may call the organizers through Felix Samon-tena at (0919)463-8828 and Jefrey Panilo at (0920)938-4204 or BBL commissioner Portuguez at (0908) 417-7878. (Roderick Osis)