MANILA (Updated 4:49 p.m.) -- The National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) reported that Typhoon Basyang (international codename: Conson) has left eight people dead and 57 others missing as it lashed the country Wednesday.

The fatalities were reported in Central Luzon, Calabarzon (Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, Quezon and Rizal) and Bicol regions, most of them either drowned or hit by tree debris.

In Bataan province, two vessels, LPG carrier "Deborah Uno" and F/V Alicia, sunk off the coast of Mariveles amid strong winds and big waves that left one fatality. Alicia's six other crews went missing while Deborah's eight other men survived.

The NDCC added that there were 11 fishermen missing in Catanduanes while 40 others in different parts of Luzon.

A total of 137 families were forced to evacuate from their homes in the provinces of Bulacan, Aurora, Quezon, Laguna and Camarines Norte.

Signal No. 1 remains hoisted over Batangas, Cavite including Lubang Island, Bataan, Zambales, Northern Mindoro and Metro Manila.

Meanwhile, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) said that it will probably take two to three days before power will fully restored in Luzon.

NGCP reported a supply deficit of more than 3,500 megawatts for the franchise area of the Manila Electric Co. (Meralco).

It said power was fully restored in Ilocos Region, Sta. Maria in Bulacan, and some portions of Quezon City, Balintawak, Diliman, Kamuning, Duhat, Balintawak and Sucat.

The Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 1 from Baclaran in Pasay City to Monumento in Caloocan City is still down due to power shortage while LRT line 2 from Recto to Santolan has resumed operation.

The Metro Rail Transit (MRT) is operational from North Avenue to Shaw Boulevard station. Other stations from Boni Avenue to Taft Avenue remains closed to the commuting public.

Typhoon Basyang (international codename: Conson) slammed into northeast Quezon province with winds of 120 kilometers per hour late Tuesday and weakened into a tropical storm as it crossed rice-growing Luzon Island and buffeted the sprawling capital with strong gusts and heavy rain for about two hours, said weather forecaster Bernie de Leon.

The storm blew out of Manila before dawn Wednesday, leaving downed branches, trees and scattered trash. Winds ripped tarpaulin billboards along the main roads and blew away roofs of coastal shanties.

Basyang also caused suspended flights, classes and work in some government offices.

It moved into the South China Sea Wednesday and was projected to make another landfall on the Chinese mainland west of Macau later this week. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)