A BUSINESSMAN was shot dead in Toledo City by three men past 7 p.m. Saturday. It is believed they tried to rob him but failed to run away with the money, as P177,380 cash remained in his pockets.

Proceso Anonas, 48, who owns Four Star Hardware in Barangay Poblacion, Toledo City, died of two gunshot wounds. He was shot in the chest and left arm.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

Police recovered a deformed slug and an empty shell fired from a .45 pistol at the crime scene.

Police initially had conflicting accounts about what happened.

There were reports Anonas was still driving his motorcycle when the three men stopped him and fought for his backpack. Another version stated that Anonas just got off his motorcycle to open the gate to his house when he was robbed.

Anonas had just left his lumberyard in Diosdado Macapagal St. and went to his nearby hardware store, where he also lives, at 7:20 p.m.

The perpetrators ran away with his backpack but dropped it a few feet away when they realized only a lunch box was inside.

Anonas was rushed to the Toledo City District Hospital but he did not make it alive.

Because of the struggle with the backpack, police believe robbery was a motive for the killing. However, they will also look into Anonas’s business transactions.

Chief Insp. Jovito Canlapan of the Toledo City Police Station said they will study another angle, related to a case Anonas filed against someone who owed him a big amount of money.

In Borbon town, a store owner lost P50,000 cash to two robbers armed with .45 pistols.

Antonio Pagalan, 50, was tending to his store in Barangay Don Gregorio Antigua, Borbon when two men pointed pistols at him and a customer at 6 p.m. Saturday.

An investigation by PO3 Elpedio Mahumot and PO2 Rey Suson stated that while Pagalan was standing at the cashier’s desk, a man, about 50 years old, arrived and pointed a .45 pistol at him, declaring a hold-up.

The man’s companion, believed to be about 20 years old, pointed a .45 pistol at customer Junrey dela Pina, 25.

They took P50,000 cash and fled north on a blue Raider 125 motorcycle, which had no plate number.

Police immediately flashed an alarm to neighboring police units in the north, but their counterparts failed to intercept the motorcycle.