MANILA -- The kidnapped son of an election official has been released by his abductors in Cagayan de Oro City on Monday afternoon without ransom payment, officials said.

Mindanao Development Authority Chairman Jesus Dureza confirmed the release of 22-year-old Nuraldin Yusoph in a television interview Monday evening but gave no further details.

Dureza said no ransom was paid for the victim's release. More information will be released on Tuesday, he added.

Yusoph, son of Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner Elias Yusoph, was abducted on June 20 at Bato Ali Mosque in the village of Sabala in Marawi City.

The victim's kidnappers earlier demanded the nullification of electoral votes in the municipalities of Malabang, Picong, Taraka, and Masiu in Lanao del Sur.

The Comelec confirmed in a text message to Sun.Star on Monday that no ransom was given to the kidnappers of Yusoph.

"The Comelec, through Commissioner Yusoph, emphasizes that the Comelec has not compromised its principles and has remained faithful to the no-ransom policy," Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a text message to Sun.Star.

"Comelec is thankful that Nuraldin Yusoph is no longer in the hands of his abductors," he added.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Gregorio Larrazabal said Monday that the investigation should still continue despite the safe release of the younger Yusoph.

"The commissioners and Comelec as an institution cannot be held hostage by those who may or may not agree with our decisions. The law gives us judicial remedies, we should exhaust them instead of resorting to criminal acts that seek to intimidate or threaten," Larrazabal said.

Last week, the leader of the suspected group who abducted Yusoph, was shot dead.

The Philippine Army's 51st Infantry Battalion identified the slain suspect as Dimaporo Dimasakal, alias Commander Delta Force. (Kathrina Alvarez/PNA/Sunnex)