A MAKATI court junked the petition of detained Senator Antonio Trillanes IV for him to attend the opening session of the 15th Congress on July 26.
But the camp of Trillanes has said they will seek a reconsideration on the ruling, saying it will file the petition today, Friday.
Trillanes’s lawyer, Reynaldo Robles, did not expressed his dismay at the order of the court, citing the neophyte lawmaker’s bid is not for his freedom but just to be able to do his job.
“Senator Trillanes is not is not seeking to be released, he just wanted to do his job as a senator in respect to the people’s mandate,” Robles said.
“Possible security risks and the precedent that has been ruled upon by the court were based on the Omnibus Motion filed by Trillanes and this was the main basis for the rejection of our petition,” he added.
Earlier, the lawmaker assured the court that he would abide by all the security measures of the Philippine National Police (PNP) which has custody of him, if ever he is allowed temporary leave of detention.
In a four page ruling, Judge Oscar Pimentel Sr. of Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 148 sided with the prosecution’s arguments that Trillanes bid’s to leave his detention place has no merit.
“After due considerations of the pleadings and arguments filed by both parties, the Court is convinced to deny the Motion for leave filed by Senator Antonio F. Trillanes IV,” Pimentel said in his ruling dated July 15 but was released Thursday afternoon.
In his Omnibus motion, the neophyte lawmaker asked the court’s approval to attend all official functions of the Senate such as the regular and plenary sessions, committee hearings and meetings, consultations, investigations and hearings in aid of legislation, caucuses and staff meetings.
Pimentel debunked Trillanes’s claim that he should be allowed to attend session considering the interest of those who voted for him in the 2007 mid-term election, citing those who supported him were aware of the nature of the case and his predicament.
“Petitioner's electoral victory only signifies pertinently that when the voters elected him, they did so with full awareness of the limitations on his freedom,” the court further said.
The court likewise said it had granted Trillanes’s past request for temporary leave such as when he registered as a voter in December 2006, cast his vote in the May 14, 2007 election and when he took his oath on June 29, 2007.
Pimentel said if he granted the latest request, he may be accused of “disobedience” of the Supreme Court (SC) order and “ignorance of jurisprudence.”
“In view of the foregoing, the Court cannot grant the instant Motion of accused Senator Antonio F. Trillanes IV for to do so would be a blatant violation and disregard of the aforementioned jurisprudential ruling of the Supreme Court,” Pimentel said.
Lawyer Robles earlier said the participation of his client in the Senate Session is particularly crucial in the light of the fact that only 21 out of the 24 duly elected Senators will most probably be present.
Trillanes has already posted bail last week before the Makati RTC Branch 150 which is hearing his rebellion case in connection with the 2007 Manila Peninsula Hotel stand-off.
Pimentel’s court meanwhile is hearing the coup charges against Trillanes and the other Magdalo officers in connection with the short-lived 2003 Oakwood mutiny.
Several personalities and sectors have urged the court to allow the Senator to leave his detention for one day to attend the opening sessions.
Former President Joseph Estrada and Vice President Jejomar Binay called on Pimentel to allow Trillanes to attend next week’s session.
President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III has already ordered the Justice department to review the coup charges against the lawmaker though several sectors said it is tantamount to judicial intervention. (JCV/AH/Sunnex)