IN less than 48 hours, police arrested the alleged gunman in the killing of a delivery multicab driver in Barangay Punta Princesa, Cebu City.

However, a woman, in her 20s, was critically wounded after she was shot inside a pub in Sangi road, Barangay Tabunok, Talisay City early last night.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

The victim was initially identified only as a certain Mary Ann, a cashier of a bar, who was reportedly shot in the forehead while attending to customers around 6:10 p.m.

Responding policemen rushed her to the Talisay District Hospital in Barangay San Isidro for treatment.

But hospital guaard Felicisimo Tibay told Sun.Star Cebu the victim was transferred to a private hospital in Cebu City on orders of a foreigner, who is reportedly a part-owner of the pub.

In Cebu City, Francisco Alvarez, 38, of Doña Maria Village, Punta Princesa was arrested at 9 p.m. Sunday by the joint team of operatives from the Punta Princesa Police Station and Investigation and Detective Management Branch (IDMB).

Alvarez, a cook, was tagged as the gunman in the killing of 52-year-old Rufino R. Deresas at the corner of F. Llamas and Taurus Sts., Punta Princesa, past 6 a.m. last Saturday.

Deresas, who worked as a driver of a delivery multicab, died on the spot for gunshot wounds in his body.

Deresas’s assistant, Ariel C. Aguinid, 22, survived the attack after jumping off from the multicab.

The two were about to deliver delicacies when the shooting happened.

Chief Insp. George Ylanan, IDMB chief, said five witnesses, including Aguinid, identified Alvarez as the gunman.

Aguinid, in an interview with Sun.Star Cebu, said he could never forget the face of Alvarez.

He said Alvarez was wearing a cap during the attack.

Alvarez, however, denied the allegation.

He said he was cooking when the alleged shooting happened.

He also denied knowing Deresas.

Alvarez, however, admitted he had been detained several times for shoplifting.

Self-defense

He also said he killed a man in Punta Princesa in self-defense.

The victim’s family, he claimed, did not file a case against him.

Cebu City Police Office Director Patrocinio Comendador Jr. said Alvarez will be charged today with murder.

Meanwhile, charges for illegal possession of firearms and ammunition were filed yesterday before the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s Office against Dominador Viloria Sr. and his son, Dominador Jr., who were placed under surveillance for their alleged involvement in the shooting of Joselito Reynes, who served as campaign manager of Compostela mayor-elect Joel Quiño.

A bail of P80,000 each was recommended for the duo’s temporary liberty.

Viloria’s wife, Lucia, has also filed petitions for writs of habeas corpus and amparo before the Cebu City Regional Trial Court Branch 5 last Saturday.

Judge Douglas Marigo-men of the RTC Branch 5 reset the hearing of the petitions today.

Lawyer Rex Fernandez, counsel for the Vilorias, said the charges merit immediate dismissal because the arresting officers failed to conduct an inventory of the allegedly seized firearms.

Though he is yet to read the contents of a petition for writ of habeas corpus filed against him, Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Lani-o Nerez stood by the operatives of the Regional Special Operations Group.

Nerez and the RSOG, led by Chief Insp. Romeo Santander, are named respondents in a petition filed by Lucia.

Lucia said the police had no basis to enter their house and arrest her husband and son because they had no warrant.

Nerez, for his part, said the situation fell under a hot pursuit, since a crime happened in the presence of the police officers.

In his complaint-affidavit, Santander alleged when Dominador Sr. and his son saw the police, they ran and hid inside their house.

Concerned that the suspect would take hostage those inside the house, the police ran after them and subdued them.

Authorities recovered from Dominador Sr. a .357 revolver while a .45 pistol was seized from Domina-dor Jr. (JTG/GC/GMD/MEA)