THE additional expenses that parents may have to shoulder for a two-year extension of the basic education cycle may be known in October, Malacañang said Saturday.

Education Secretary Armin Luistro is set to disclose by October the details of the plan to extend the basic education cycle to 12 years.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

“Sa expenses ilalahad ni Secretary Luistro sa October 5 ang buong picture ng 12-year cycle para makita ng magulang ano ang expenses diyan,” Lacierda said on government-run dzRB radio.

But he added that the two-year extension will be “free” at least in public schools, adding it is more an investment because it will prepare students for employment even if they forego college.

The Palace official asked parents not to pass judgment on the 12-year basic education cycle, at least until the time Luistro bares its details.

“Yung in the short term mukhang mas makakabigat sa magulang pero sa long term makakatulong sa kanilang pamilya sa ating lahat. Marami sa kabataan di natutuloy ng kolehiyo. Ang 12-year cycle once they graduate if they choose not to go to college they will at least be employable at that stage.”

Lacierda also said that while government extends the basic education cycle, it continues to improve the quality of education.

Meanwhile, Lacierda assured teachers who helped gather data in last May’s census that they will get their census duty pay soon.

He said he received the assurance from Budget Secretary Florencio Abad. “Abad issued the order last week. His attention had been called to it.” (JMR/Sunnex)