DENGUE fever ended the life of a two-year-old girl in Barangay Lawaan 3, Talisay City, two days before the local council adopted a resolution asking communities to spread dengue prevention tips.

Guada Marie Nahine died while being treated in the South General Hospital in the City of Naga last Sunday, said Lawaan 3 Barangay Captain Delia Ybañez, a neighbor of the girl’s family.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

Tanke Barangay Health Worker (BHW) Chief Letty Rabaya said the City Health Office still has to verify if the recent death of a 20-year-old man in the barangay was also caused by dengue fever.

The City Council approved yesterday a resolution that called on all rural health workers, barangay councils, Sangguniang Kabataan and education supervisors to help intensify the clean-up drive and information campaign against dengue fever.

The infectious disease is spread by a day-biting mosquito that breeds in stagnant water.

Ybañez said that Guada Marie was the youngest child and only daughter of Roger Nahine, a staff member at the City Hall budget office.

She said there was a pool of stagnant water in the Nahine family’s yard where mosquitoes could have bred. She said it was only three days before her death that Guada Marie began having a fever.

“I thought the girl’s condition was okay as what the father told me last Friday. I was surprised upon learning of her death,” Ybañez said.

Upon her request, City Hall sent its anti-dengue task force and conducted a mist-blowing operation in Lawaan 3 yesterday.

The newly approved resolution, drafted by Councilor Richard Francis Aznar, also called for the schools and residents to diligently observe the four-o’clock habit and clean their surroundings every 4 p.m.

Residents were told to drain water containers, replace water in flower vases once a week, and empty old tires, bottles and tin cans, so they won’t become breeding sites.

Public Information Officer Arturo Bas said at least 137 fever dengue cases were recorded in the city so far this year.

Before Guada, the two others who died were children in Barangay Tapul and Cansojong, he said. (GC)