TUESDAY'S regular session at Cagayan de Oro City Council turned out hot after what had been labeled by the opposition as "drastic approval" of the city's supplemental budget amounting to P1.284 million.
Such budget, said councilor Edgar Cabanlas, has already been included for the next session's agenda for the passage of appropriate ordinance "without prior notice from us."
Cabanlas, who is among the minority bloc members, objected why they were not informed about the passage of the supplemental budget for general fund and special account for this year.
"They should give the procedures in advance for transparency's sake," said Cabanlas.
The P1.284 million is the estimated income of the General Fund and Special Account of the City Economic Enterprises for Calendar Year 2010.
The budget also serves as the estimated expenditures to implement various approved appropriations and ordinances by Mayor Vicente Emano.
According to Councilor Simeon Licayan, the new appropriations are funded out of reversion and savings from previous appropriations that were not being used. (NJM)