MALACAÑANG reassured former Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Metro Manila commander Rear Admiral Feliciano Angue of a fair investigation on his complaints about alleged politicking by some military officials.

But Presidential Communications Development Strategic and Planning Secretary Ricky Carandang said Angue should no longer complain about his floating status as he had already been amply warned against bringing his case to media.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

“There is no whitewash and all his claims are being investigated) ... It’s an AFP issue now, the Palace is watching and monitoring but it’s an issue that the AFP and (Department of National Defense) is dealing with,” he said over radio interview Saturday.

The Palace official added the AFP will have blanket authority in looking into Angue’s claims. “We want to see if the allegations have basis. The AFP is investigating it… let’s wait for the AFP to make some recommendations.”

Earlier, AFP chief of staff Ricardo David Jr. put Angue on floating status, saying he would not be allowed to hold any military post until the investigation on an ethics complaint against him is completed.

David said Angue’s transfer to the Naval Forces Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) could not yet push through because investigations are being held in Manila.

Angue had also claimed several of his classmates from the Philippine Military Academy Class 1978 used their influence to get plum posts in the military.

“Angue made some allegations and the AFP is following procedures in dealing with the matter. And that investigation is ongoing,” Carandang said.

“Angue defied that instruction, so I guess the AFP felt it should sanction him for that, and it is doing so now,” he added. (JMR/Sunnex)