CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- The League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP) joined the call for the postponement of the barangay and youth elections.

Mayor Oscar Rodriguez of this city said about two-thirds of the 122 member-cities, through their mayors, have expressed apprehension over the October 25 grassroots elections.

Updates on President Benigno Aquino III's presidency

The LCP, he said, is discussing possible alternatives to the upcoming elections like having mayors appoint village chiefs and tackling the relevance of maintaining the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK).

In case of mayors appointing barangay captains and SK chairpersons, the country will be able to save P3.6 billion in expenses for the polls, Rodriguez said.

Such proposition is also being forwarded by Vice President Jejomar Binay, who said the budget for the barangay and SK elections should be used on anti-poverty programs instead.

"We are drafting our position paper and our members are still deliberating on many aspects. So far, two-thirds have signified against the holding of the elections this year," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez added that while the LCP will have its position on the issue, he will respect President Benigno Aquino III's final say on the matter.

He said the LCP will come out with its position paper soon.

It can be recalled that the members of Congress have also called for postponement of the elections.

Senator Miguel Zubiri and House minority leader Representative Edcel Lagman have filed separate bills seeking the postponement of this year's barangay and SK polls to October 2012.

The Commission on Elections has urged lawmakers to decide whether or not it will push through with the elections on October 25. (Ian Ocampo Flora)