TRANSPORT authorities invited the operators of a bus that crashed in Benguet last week to attend in a hearing today, Monday.

Four units of Eso-Nice Bus Lines are placed under preventive suspension after one of its passenger buses plunged into a ravine in Banangan, Sablan, Benguet on Wednesday, killing 41.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) said operators need to explain why their franchise should not be cancelled following the accident.

An Eso-Nice bus with plate number AVB 549 had 49 passengers on board when it drove off a 100-foot cliff around 9:20 a.m. Wednesday.

Investigators believed human error and poorly maintained bus caused the accident.

The LTFRB said compensation for the victims' family from the bus firm is now being readied.

Under preventive suspension, Eso-Nice bus units with the same franchise number as that of the wrecked bus in Sablan will not be allowed to travel and convey passengers. (Sunnex)